Wednesday 23 November 2011

Nov 2011 in Hong Kong: Dessert heaven!

I would have blogged about the fantastic desserts I had in Hong Kong on my recent trip last. However, in response to a friend's request, I have moved it up in the queue. So, here goes:
Hong Kong is well known for the "Cha Chan Teng" (Tea Cafes) and Yee Shun Milk Company, a chain store, is also well known for its hot and cold desserts! This branch was on Lockhart Road.
Its menu.
This was totally sinful but so heavenly! The ultimate oxymoron! Coconut milk, grass jelly and red beans.
Singaporeans would know Honeymoon Desserts (Moon Kei) which made its appearance in Singapore not too long ago. This branch was in Ngong Ping village.

Mango, sago and pomelo. Slurp. Classic Moon Kei.
I told myself I must have the herbal jelly in Hong Kong. This branch of Hoi Tin Tong was in either MongKok or YauMaTei. I cannot quite remember.

Its menu. I ordered the standard herbal jelly cold which was HK$50 a bowl.

It was like no other herbal jelly I have ever had in Singapore! The real stuff!
This shop is famous for its egg tarts. This was in MongKok.
I love egg tarts. In my younger days when students were unable to pay the asking fee for my tuition services, I would ask them to pay me with egg tarts. When I tell you these egg tarts are the best, you can take my word for it.
So, how much for these delectable egg tarts? Only HK$5 each. Yes!
I miss Hong Kong already!

8 comments:

Singapore Man of Leisure said...

Ha ha! Looked like you had a wonderful time in HK!

Good for you :)

I used to piss-off my mainland chinese colleagues when they ask me which Chinese city I love best?

I replied HK. LOL!

HK indeed is a great place for eating. But must say I prefer our wanton noodles. Their wanton noodles soup taste too salty...

AK71 said...

Hi SMOL,

There will be another blog post after this on food in Hong Kong and I will blog about wanton noodles! Hahaha... ;)

FoodieFC said...

Hi AK71

did not know you have a travel blog till now. Do you have the address of the shop selling egg tarts?

Making me hungry leh!

AK71 said...

Hi FoodieFC,

I only remember that it is in Mongkok near Ladies Street. I think it is in Sai Yeung Choi Street.

Perhaps you could take down the shop's name and ask the people there when you are in the area. It is well known.

The egg tarts are to die for! ;)

FoodieFC said...

Hi AK 71,

I could not find the egg tart. But luckily found another famous egg tart outlet in Macau (will post abt it soon).

I thought that Yee Shun was so-so. Australia Dairy Company was so much better. Maybe you could visit it next time and compare =)

AK71 said...

Hi FoodieFC,

Macau? Are they Portuguese egg tarts? I actually don't like those. I find them a bit too "jalat".

Yes, I have been told to try Australia Dairy Company by quite a few friends, including my sister. Haha.. Have not tried despite my many trips to Hong Kong. Will have to do it one day. :)

FoodieFC said...

Hi AK 71

Yes, Portuguese egg tarts! Its very nice!

Did a post on Australia diary company. The scrambled eggs are to die for. amazing something so simple can be so delicious and hard to find elsewhere.

AK71 said...

Hi FoodieFC,

Haha.. I very much prefer the Hong Kong type egg tarts. Lighter and less eggy. Just different taste buds. ;)

Will drop by your blog to read about Australia Dairy Company. :)