Saturday 19 November 2011

Nov 2011 in Hong Kong: The Giant Buddha in Ngong Ping.

I recently went away for a short holiday in Hong Kong.

Hong Kong? Why Hong Kong? Some friends were incredulous as I go there almost yearly.

Well, the last time I went to Hong Kong for a holiday must have been in my undergraduate days with my sister. Since then, I have been to Hong Kong regularly but it has always been on business. The feeling is quite different.

The Giant Buddha sitting serenely on top of Ngong Ping plateau.

On this trip, I went to see the Giant Buddha on Lantau Island. Really awesome. I won't say I am a Buddhist but I have inclinations towards Buddhism and after years in the working world, it was truly humbling to look inwards as I looked upon the face of the Giant Buddha. I have to become a better person.

Lots of vistors and not everyone could climb to the top without taking a break or two.

The more than 200 steps which I climbed were worth every step but it did take a bit of huffing and puffing. I am not in the best of shape.

I made it. Nope, I did not use the zoom mode of my camera.
So, you want to visit the Giant Buddha too? How do we get there?

There are a few ways to get to the Giant Buddha and I chose to take the Ngong Ping Cable Car after getting off at the Tung Chung MTR Station.

I was there pretty early but I had to queue to get a ticket.
I could have paid more to take a ride in a glass bottomed cable car but I decided that a regular one would be exciting enough for me. I took this shot while still in the queue. Look at the floor!
The inside of my regular cable car which had eight passengers including myself.
Wow! 17 persons? Could it really take that many people?
It was a longish ride. It was also windy and chilly. Cable cars were swaying a bit. Quite an experience.
I really like this shot which I took from my cable car as we approached Ngong Ping village.
This is on the back of a souvenir pouch I bought from one of the shops. Most profound.

I will be posting more about my trip to Hong Kong. So, look out for them.

No comments: