Tuesday 6 December 2011

Nov 2011 in Hong Kong: Trams.

Hong Kong is a place where anyone can visit free and easy because of the very good public transport network. Get an Octopus card (which is like Singapore's EZ Link card) and use it for cashless payments for MTR rides, ferry rides and tram rides, amongst other things.


The trams in Hong Kong have a long history but since my first visit to Hong Kong in my primary school days and on my many visits since, I had never once taken a ride on a tram. On this trip, I took the tram and I was immediately in love with it.

At a tram stop.
Hong Kong's trams are the only double decker trams left in the world or so I was told. I took electric trams in Japan many times before but they were single deck trams. Hong Kong's trams are much narrower and not as comfortable as the Japanese ones but sitting on the upper deck and just taking in the sights was a treat.

Upper deck.
People could also charter special trams like this one for private functions! I chanced upon this one evening.
What really amazed me was the inexpensive fare. Regardless of distance, the price was HK$2.30 per tram ride.


I didn't get to do it this time but on my next holiday in Hong Kong, I want to take all the different tram routes from terminal to terminal! An inexpensive way to see Hong Kong island on the move.


Oh, one more thing, entry is from the rear. Pay when exiting from the front.

Where to get an Octopus card? You could get it at the airport once you arrive. Just go to the circular counter in the middle of the arrival hall. You can't miss it.

Visit the official website of Octopus Hong Kong: click here.

For information on transportation to and from Hong Kong International Airport: click here.

2 comments:

Singapore Man of Leisure said...

I am most impressed with HK's variety and various modes of transport options.

I've tried all the various modes of transport - cable cars, ferry (it's also dirt cheap!), taxi, bus, MTR, trams.

The only exception are the small public yellow vans. Next time I will try them! Although I am still confused with how to alight!? No bus stops? Maybe I follow you and travel from terminal to terminal :)

Technically I've taken vans as transport but they don't count.

Those were the "private" vans contracted by the condominiums at mid=Peak to carry residents to and from Central. My brother used to work in HK and he stayed there ;)

AK71 said...

Hi SMOL,

After the trams on this trip, I have tried them all too. :)

The mini buses (siu ba), I have taken them a few times before but only from a specific MTR station to a supplier's office. That is the only service I know how to take and to shout out to the bus driver before I want to alight. Hahaha.. ;p

To take the mini buses, we must be more local simply because we have to shout out the name of the stop we are alighting at to the bus driver. We don't just press a button and it does not stop at every stop.

You are really well travelled, my friend. :)