Friday 9 December 2011

Nov 2011 in Hong Kong: Ocean Park.

The last time I was in Ocean Park was almost thirty years ago when I was a boy. This not for profit theme park has evolved nicely.
How to get there: Take bus 629 from Admiralty MTR Station. It is a dedicated service to Ocean Park.
Get there as early as you can. The park gets really crowded in the afternoon.

And I was there pretty early!

First time seeing pandas live!
The very pensive looking female.
The more entertaining male.
Musical fountain. Nicer in the early evening with lights thrown in.

The main attraction inside Ocean Park's aquarium. The giant tank!
The latest mode of transportation connecting the lower park and the upper park. When I was a kid, they only had the cable cars which are still around today.
This nice photo of the inside of the train was only possible because the tour groups had yet to arrive! It would not have been possible in the afternoon.
Can you tell what are in the cylindrical tanks? Jellyfish! The lights in the tank would change in color with Vanessa Mae's energetic music playing in the background!
The jellyfish were all housed in a smaller aquarium that most people didn't visit. I really enjoyed the ethereal ambience and the quiet.
A tranquil spot.
The good ol' cable cars. They have not changed since I was a kid. I remember my mom found the cable car ride scary.
They swayed a little in the strong winds but I really enjoyed the ride!
Red pandas in another enclosure.
Lunch was in a restaurant in the building housing the main aquarium.
I was fortunate enough to be seated right next to the tank!
I caught the last performance of the day and was seated really high up in the theatre. This was the best I could do with the zoom function of my cheapie IXUS.
Ocean Park's dolphins performance had a story to tell and was very educational.
The end of a fun and educational trip.
I did not take any of the more exciting rides in the park. They didn't appeal to me but I enjoyed the more educational aspects of the park. Growing old? Probably.

No comments: